Friday, May 24, 2013

Freelancin' Blues

I have work. Boy, do I have work. The problem is, I've already been paid for said work. And so I'm constantly having to look for MORE PAID WORK, and thus find myself doing quite the juggling act to stay afloat. And unfortunately, sinking more than floating (which is coincidentally true in swimming too - while I can swim quite well, I never could float, I sink).

It wasn't always this way. Once upon a time, I had a bunch of regular clients with regular, monthly issues, plus other steady work that kept me doing okay. Then a number of things happened that caused all of that to slide WAY down. I got sick - really sick - and eventually had surgery and recovery. During that period, I unfortunately lost a couple of clients. The company I was doing other work for also went out of business during this time. And then the economy took a down-turn and less and less of my regular clients were producing books anymore.

So now, I have a couple of regular clients, and a handful of repeat clients. Seems like just when I'm about to run out, someone contacts me out of the blue as someone has told them about me, and it is always a welcome opportunity for me. But one can not live on those random occurrences with any feeling of financial security.

Right now I face that situation. I was running low this month and an old client hit me up out of the blue. So that will help in the short term. But it's just not feasible for me to keep on at this rate.

So what do I do?

There is a ton of flatting work I have access to, but I'm REALLY slow. Plus lettering pays better when all is said and done - there's just not nearly as much work available for that anymore. So while I do like flatting, and I am good at it, until I get faster (or get a Cintiq or Bosto or whatever), it's not going to sustain me sadly.

I've already said lettering (and logo design) jobs are hard to come by these days. (If you're looking, I am for hire!)

I REALLY don't want to go back to 9-5 - I HATE that lifestyle, I really do. I worked freelance successfully for nearly a decade and LOVED the freedom of it. Going back to 9-5 is a HUGE step backwards for me. If it comes to that, of course I'll do it - what choice would I have? But I have to try to keep my sanity first!

I think writing could be the key. Not just comics, but prose (which I'm getting into seriously very soon - more details on that when I have more to report), articles, whatever. I just really don't know where to start. Sure, I've been paid for writing before - comic scripts, SEO articles, data entry, etc. But I've never tried my hand at like writing for publications or other websites and the like save for a few movie or wrestling reviews.

I will continue lettering - and again, I'm for hire! - but I think writing will eventually take me farther.

In the meantime, I just have to find a way to stay afloat. Things are about to shift around here, and I need something stable. I think I'm going to finally finish revising my website (gonzogoose.com) and start submitting to companies earnestly. But I really do want to look into paid writing jobs out there as well.

Anyone have any tips on that? I am a member of a couple of freelance sites, but most of the jobs I see there are technical writing, which I'm not interested in at all.

In any case, I'm just having a bit of the freelancin' blues as I see bills come in and have to continuously scramble for jobs to keep up. Not a fun way to live, let me tell you.

-B

1 comment:

Sasha Hitchner said...

Oh, my dear. What a time it is! Nothing is what it used to be and there are no maps.

I have a book shop and I have to sell my second hand books, all fabulous and wonderful, mind you, at a hideously low price to get some cash in to help pay the rent and the phone and the internet and the staff - and it is never enough.

I have the same thoughts. What to do? Every time I am close to shutting down the shop, something makes me keep it open. And, as luck would have it, I always find the money to pay for things. I think I manufacture it in the night.

Why be afraid/insecure? You are attracting jobs when you need them, just keep doing what you do, and that is mostly, attracting the work.

How do you do that? You more than likely scream help in your head and (you might not like this) angels hear you. So keep asking and you will get.

Forget about financial security. It doesn't exist anymore. Enough is the new buzz word.

I am ancient and I can promise you that I have been through some tough times, but, something always happens. if you just ask the angels - try it. No one will know you are asking, only the angels, and see if I am wrong. Angels have no opinion about what you want to do or accomplish. Their job is to help you get done what you need to get done. They are not permitted to help unless you ask. So, ask. Bizarre, I know, but tried and tested in all situations; I promise you, it works. You don't even need to be religious. That's how weird that is. The sky is blue and angels exist. Don't argue with that, just prove it to yourself. I will never forget the day I discovered my angel support circle. I was an ardent atheist at the time. A desperate young mother and and and ...

I have not been without since and I have accomplished amazing things without actually possessing any money myself. I have had cars fly out of ditches, over ditches, and run out of petrol in front of the filling station. So many stories. Things just happen. People emerge from the ether. I don't know how it works, it just does. And right now I am sending you love and light and ask my angels to come and help you with your stuff. There are principles of the universe and one is you can have whatever you want, everything, but you have to give it all away as soon as you get it. I'm laughing. I know what I would have done with this advice when I was 30 - but there it is. The more you give away, the more you get. You will always have enough. That is all a body needs. Enough. Thank you for writing this. Love and Love.