Friday, November 09, 2012

To NaNoWriMo or Not to NaNoWriMo

So here we are eight days into November and I have yet to decide if I will do NaNoWriMo or not.

For those unaware, NaNoWriMo, or National Novel Writing Month, is an event that happens every November where writers commit to write a 50,000 word or more novel by the end of the month. Generally, this involves writing every day during November.

As I said, I've missed over a week of this already and would have a lot of ground to cover. I have wanted to do this for a few years now, but I usually forget about it until November is already here. So it keeps passing me by.

This year was sadly no different. Due to some personal issues, I didn't remember it again this year until November 2nd. But then, after asking some people on Facebook and Skype, I decided I'd do it. The problem is I got extremely busy the past week and have yet to start, even though I did sign up for an account on the 3rd.

Another problem is I have no idea what to write about. I mean, I have several novel concepts at various stages, but I don't really want to use those on this They all require some research or planning, and for this I kind of want to just come up with something and wing it at this point. I'm still trying to decide exactly what to write about.

At this point, I'd have to write about 2,300 words per day to reach the goal. That measures out to about 11 pages a day. Given my workload, I'm just not sure that's possible now.

If I do decide to go ahead and do it, I'll update here with a link to my project page. If I don't enter, I am definitely doing it next year.

I love writing, and I rarely get a chance to write these days. I'm always working doing lettering and flatting, or posting on CR, or podcasting, so there is very little time for writing left. And that's why NaNoWriMo is so important to me - it kind of forces me to do what I love.

Keep checking back for updates. I'll make a decision by tomorrow.

-B

No comments: