Tuesday, January 03, 2012

It's 2012... Now What?

Hey everybody, Happy New Year! The holidays are now behind us and it's time to start looking forward to the year ahead and all that jazz.

I have to admit that I kind of took it easy over the holidays, which means I'm kind of swamped at the moment. This week is all about catching up and getting back on track so I can find some more work next week and start the cycle in earnest once more.

I trust everyone had a great holiday season? Mine was okay. I missed out on some stuff this season, once again, but maybe this coming holiday season will be different. We shall see.

We got no snow over the holidays, not one single snowflake. Yesterday, it started snowing here. Very little snow still, but the roads were bad for a few hours. We generally experience our coldest temperatures in January and February around here anyway. It's been below freezing the past couple of days. Yesterday I think it was like 24 degrees during the day. I hope we don't get any bad ice or anything this year.

But that's enough about the weather. This is a new year, so it's time to make the most of it, right? I mean, in our culture we look at the turning of the year as a fresh start - a chance to get back on track, reinvent ourselves, start something new, whatever floats your boat. I know it's arbitrary, and that's why resolutions hardly ever stand. Once the newness of the first week of January starts to wear off we realize it's just another day, week, month, year, and we fall back into step with what we were doing and how we were doing it. So I don't put much credence into the magic reset button as it were.

That said, I believe any day, or year is what you make it, and if you set that goal in your mind, to make this new year the year that you finally do this or that, then that's what it becomes. If you can commit to it and stick with it, then the sky's the limit, regardless of how arbitrary the changing of the year itself may be.

For me, I do have goals for this year that I fully intend to see through. Will I actually follow through with them? Some of them I absolutely must. Others could easily fall by the wayside. It's too easy to get caught up in other things and allow ideas to fade away into obscurity. But I personally am determined to make some changes this year. Changes with how I do things, how I handle things, changes in myself, without and within, and so on and so forth. I have certain goals set and I intend to achieve them.

2011 was not a good year for me. There were positives that came out of last year, don't get me wrong. Like finally having the surgery I so desperately needed. I formed closer friendships with a few people, reconnected with others, accomplished some goals I wanted to accomplish and some other things as well.  So it wasn't all bad. But it certainly wasn't all good either. There were some really bad things that happened this past year that brought me down for quite a bit of it sadly. As hard as I tried to stay positive and persevere, sometimes the pressures and the stress got to me, and the weight at times seemed unbearable. But by the grace of God I got through it, and here I am staring another year down ready to tackle it as well.

So I have set in my mind that 2012, no matter what it holds in store for me, will be a better year, because I'm going to make it so. I understand I can't control certain circumstances that may arise, that may even curtail plans of mine and that may create obstacles, setbacks and more pressure and stress. Things like that are inevitable. But I refuse to let those things dictate the outcome of my life in this year ahead.

So wish me well, send me your prayers, and stand up with me. 2012 will be a banner year.

Now, next January we'll revisit this post and see how right I am (<--see, positive!). :)

-B

1 comment:

Kushuka Lee said...

It's very beautiful blog, I'm happy to visit your blog,
garage cabinets plans
regards..