Friday, December 16, 2011

Trying Week

Even though every day seems the same to me, I'm glad, both literally and symbolically that this, being Friday is the end of the week.

This week has been brutal on a number of levels. Work wise, I was struggling to keep up with a certain project and slid into the deadline at the last minute. I did finish, though. Now I have a mountain of other work to tackle, and I still need to find time to find more work.

Physically - though I said I was doing well last post - I've had a few problems this week. For one, I've had very bad headaches for the past two weeks, and yesterday I had a really, really bad one. I think it may be my blood pressure as I ran out of medication for it a couple of months ago, and I haven't exactly been living stress fee, or, sadly, shedding any pounds. I had one left that I was holding onto just in case. I took it last night and it did help, so I'm going to try and get them filled again today if I can find the cash to do so.

I've also (surprise) got a toothache right now. Actually had a piece of tooth break off while I was eating last night. So that's pleasant.

That aside, I am doing well.



I mentioned needing to find more work, and that couldn't be truer. I have one decent paying gig right now, but that barely scratches the surface of what I need for rent and bills, not to mention Christmas. 9 days out and not one single gift bought for or by anyone in my family at this point. I don't ever recall a Christmas in my lifetime that happened. I've had some bad ones, but not that bad. Freelance work has just been really slow, and this year has been overall dreadful.

Don't get me wrong, I know gifts aren't the reason for the season as it were, and it's about spending time with family, celebrating Jesus Christ if you're of that faith as I am, and so on. But many times my joy comes from being able to pull off Christmas for my family and have them shocked by it after a usually dismal December leading up to it. And this year I just don't think I can pull it off.

Because of work, stress and everything else, as I mentioned before, it's been hard to get into the Christmas spirit. And while I have remained pretty positive and hopeful throughout, trying to bring everyone else up, I have to admit that the last couple of days it started hitting me that no matter how hard I tried it may just not happen this year. Reality sucks.

But enough about all that jazz. I finally got to see the Jim Carey animated A Christmas Carol a few days ago. That particular story is one of my favorite Christmas stories, and I enjoy seeing the various films based on it. I think my favorite would be the Patrick Stewart version, but the George C. Scott one is also good, as is the version that took many liberties with it, Scrooged. I even like the Mickey Mouse one. It's just a classic, timeless story that really does sum things up. Christmas is a time of giving and celebration.



The animation in that Jim Carey film was amazing. And you could see some of the actors in their animated counterparts. It was hard to mistake Bob Hoskins, for instance. It was an awesome and faithful take on the story, which actually surprised me. I thought being Carey that many liberties would be taken (see How the Grinch Stole Christmas - while I did enjoy that film, it was embellished a great deal). But by and large, it was very much like any other classic take on the story. The dramatic tone, the subdued lighting and of course the message. The only parts I didn't like and thought were a bit over the top were the parts that seemed overly Disney'd up. Fezziwig's (sp) dancing, for one, was a bit much with all the flips and such. And Scrooge shrinking and running through sewer pipes and such was a little ridiculous. I know it was during the dream/ visitation sequence, but still. But those are small nitpicks of what was a really good film.

That's another thing. Both because of my lack of time and the trouble getting into the spirit of things, one of my usual rituals for this time of year has alluded me thus far. That being watching all the Christmas movies. I have watched Elf, something I do every year since I saw it in the theater. Probably the only Will Farrell movie I'd watch a second time, let alone every year. And of course the Carey one I've been talking about. But that's it. Hopefully I'll get a chance to catch a few. I have a short list of ones I tend to watch every year, so I hope I get to.

With that, I think I've rambled on enough for one day. It feels good to be blogging again.

-B

1 comment: