Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Today It All Changes

Exactly four years ago, on September 30, 2005, I started this blog as a way to talk about whatever was on my mind. Be that updates on projects, religious discussions, comics, rants on this or that, birthday wishes or what have you, it was meant as an outlet for whatever I was feeling or wanting to express at any given time.

Over the years I have gone days or weeks without posting. I've gained and lost readers. I've whined and complained, and I've praised and rejoiced. There have been good days and bad days, good posts and bad posts.

Through it all, though, I had fun doing it, and I was able to get it all out there for the world to see. I made some very close friends through this blog, some acquaintances, and even got some work from it. I've made people really happy with it, and I've made people really mad with it. I've gotten called out on it, and I've been pulled to the side over it.

But good or bad, it's been a constant for four years. And that changes today.

This is officially my 1000th post on this blog, and it will be my last.

If you have followed this blog at all you know that the last four years have been quite the up and down journey. We've laughed, we've cried, we've talked about the most inane subjects possible. But if my last post before this one was any indication (not to mention the many like it and worse over the years), it's time for a change.

I have been loosely planning this for some time, though I had hoped my other plans would be further along by now so that the transition would be smooth. But alas, sometimes things just work out the way they do, and there's nothing that can be done about them.

A few posts back I let you in on my secret that I was retro-dating a few of these posts. I had intended, once I hit about 989, to work my way up to this date to end it on the date I began it. But I lost track and the day passed. So instead of accepting that I retro'd them, and I'm not ashamed. :)

What I intended to happen was to relaunch my website with a new design and brand new blog to start fresh. I am nowhere near ready for that, though, so I am ending this without something to jump to.

What I will tell you is that eventually, I will be starting a brand new blog, which I will update constantly, at the same www.brantfowler.com/blog url. This blog will remain here as an archive.

So why am I doing this? Basically, I have come to the decision that I need a fresh, new beginning. I want to start fresh and clean and put my past behind me. That may sound trivial concerning a blog, but this blog thing is symbolic of a greater desire to lay down the past which has plagued me for some time. I'm ready to move forward and let go.

That's not to say I'm quitting what I'm doing or starting all over completely. I love what I do with lettering, Comic Related, Haven and so forth. But I feel like for a while now I've been like the hamster in the wheel, running its little heart out but never going anywhere. My wheels have been turning, but I've been stuck in a rut. A rut I fully intend to break, starting today.

So with all that said, I would like to thank you all for your faithful readership over the years. I'd also like to thank you for the comments you've left, and for the support and encouragement you've showed. For those of you who made this journey with me and became close friends, LCS forever, guys. Ray, Jenny, and the rest, thank you for following my words and sharing with me yours from time to time.

I hope that you all will follow me to the new blog when I'm ready to take it live. And I hope you've enjoyed reading my ramblings as much as I've enjoyed sharing them.

In closing, I'll leave you with the motto of my former church, which seems more than appropo for the occasion: Today, A New Beginning.

1 comment:

Ray said...

You got it mate.