Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Buzzed on Monster and Full Throttle

I have been burning the candle at both ends for the past several days and still will be for a while. Right now I am on my third or fourth wind (who knows, I lost track) thanks to Monster and Full Throttle energy drinks as well as some chocolate and iced tea. Yeah, I know, not a great combination and terrible on my "diet", especially considering I've eaten pizza three times in the past week!

I am working solely on the Haven catalog, which has proved to be a lot more time consuming than I anticipated. I wish I had been able to start it sooner, but I have been completely swamped for the past month or so and will be at least through April, maybe through May if a certain project comes along. Good problems, yes, but I'm really reconsidering my low rate at this point...

Anyhoo, I have to finish the catalog this week as the 15th was actually the deadline, which I'll narrowly miss.

I also recorded a podcast tonight, which took an hour too long thanks to technical problems with Skype. And I still have to edit and post that puppy before Friday! I did go ahead and record the opening and closing already, so all I have to do is add the music, edit the main conversation (which is in, I believe, at least five different files - fun), and then put it all together. Yeah, this is a busy week.

Not to mention I was supposed to drive up to Chicago Thursday for the C2E2 Launch Party (the new Reed comic convention coming to Chicago next year) with my buddy Chuck "Crazz" Kennedy who lives in or near Chicago. He had a plus one on his RSVP and asked me, and I really want to go. But as things are looking right now I'm not gonna make it. One, I don't know if I really have the time to be spending Thursday and Friday on the road. Two, I don't have a reliable enough car to make a trek of 12 hours or so, and Three, it would take just about every cent I have right now to rent a car and make that trek. So as much as I would LOVE to go, I just don't see it happening sadly. Such is life.

This weekend I also have to have Corrective Measures #10 lettered, and #11-12 soon after. Next week I have to finish up the first issue of the current Image project I'm lettering. I have a couple of jobs that are about half finished I need to catch up on. And all the while I've still got Haven submissions coming in and stuff to post on Comic Related! Busy, busy, busy.

Somehow I need to come up with my half of the money for the convention in Chicago in August as well... pretty soon too. And I have to save up for a hotel and spending money there also. And I'll finally get to meet Cary Kelley in person after all these years as he'll be there.

As a matter of fact, this year is potentially very busy for me. I've already been up to Florence a few times, and to Gem City recently. Next month I'm doing Free Comic Book Day in Florence, then in June I may tag along with Chuck Moore to Heroes Con in NC. July, I think, is the off month, but my mom and brother have a birthday that month, so...

August is Chicago, then September is Pop Culture Con in KY near Cincinnati. October is Mid-Ohio-Con, and then November and December are the holidays.

Man, I better start making more money!!! I still have to print books, pay for hotels and tables, etc., etc. All I can hope for is that the cons are successful and I either get some work out of them, or sell a lot of books. Haven't done too great at the too regional shows I've done thus far, but then they are smaller shows, so we'll see. We also have yet to have a fully finished, 22 page story to sell. It's either been the 12 page #0 or the 12 page #1 preview. Hopefully the full issue #1 will sell better than those have.

Plus, the Image book I'm lettering comes out in July, so maybe I'll have some of those to sell in August, I don't know. The last Image book I lettered hasn't sold well for me yet. I put them out at the con, and I've had them up on eBay and have only sold one copy so far (at the con).

But that's what's up. I'm doing ok, just been really busy. I have so much on my plate, and yet monetarily it never feels like enough. I think I need to take a lesson from a guy I met at Gem City and write a 145 page novel, distribute it in the book market and sell 4,000 copies for $13 apiece. That would be a good start! Yeah, I'm really considering that...

Now if you'll excuse me, before I get back to work, I think I have to throw up...

No comments: