Monday, January 05, 2009

Inspiration Strikes Back

I guess watching highly creative concepts or deliverance of various entertaining and interesting concepts leads to inspiration. I say that because of my two day Hayden Christensen (sp?) fest, being the three Star Wars prequels and half of Jumper. Say what you will about the dude's acting, but I really enjoyed the prequels, and I love the Jumper film.

Getting off track a bit for a second, I really don't understand the complaints about the prequels. Sure, Attack of the Clones is a silly title, and Phantom Menace was a little boring, but Revenge of the Sith had the first ever light saber battle between Obi and Vader, as well as R2, Chewy and Yoda doing their thing like we all wanted to see in the originals. And Attack of the Clones had Yoda, for the first time, showing us what he was made of. When I saw that one on opening weekend the entire theater burst out in cheers and applause over that scene. I don't know, I personally think the prequels really did a good job of spelling out things and leading right into the originals, giving us the background and reasoning behind everything we knew from the originals. I really don't understand the claim that Lucas changed everything through the prequels...

Anyway, the point of this post was me being inspired by the films. As I watched I started thinking about some concepts I had, then I started thinking about Crossgen Comics, and then about other concepts, and so on and so forth. I'm just inspired to create, and at the same time I feel stifled. I have pretty much done nothing but waste the past week and a half. Well, I shouldn't call it a waste as I was taking some much needed time for myself and enjoying the holidays. But as far as work goes, it was lost time. And now I find myself having to get back to it and hit it hard tomorrow and beyond. And because of that I won't be able to dig right into all this creativity I want to unleash.

This is a problem I often have. By pretty much having to be a letterer and logo designer, and having to do other writing jobs and various tasks to keep bills paid, it leaves very little time for working on my own projects. And it would be the same story if I had a day job (which I may soon, dreadfully).

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not great at time management. I hate routines, and therefore I start the day at a different time, not on a set schedule, and I do things in different orders to keep them fresh. I despise monotony and can't function properly in ruts or strictly repetitive tasks. Such things send me into depression or I find myself daydreaming making me not that productive. I just hate those kinds of jobs. I hate punching a clock, and I hate working and living check to check, never getting ahead. But that's neither here nor there with the economy the way it is.

Again, I've digressed. My point is it may actually serve me better if I committed myself to spending X amount of hours on lettering per day, X amount of hours on Haven per day, X amount of hours on my own projects per day, and so on. But I don't do that. I work on top priority stuff first (which is usually stuff that has a publishing deadline, or pays the most and fastest) then flow down the line from there. At any rate, when it's all said and done, and I've quit doing the work for others each day I'm too sapped to work on my own stuff, and all I feel like doing is watching TV or reading a book. I certainly don't feel like typing away on a keyboard for several more hours. An occasional Twitter, blog or forum post is one thing, but spending dedicated, consecutive hours typing and creating after a long day of similar work is a bit too much most days.

So while I am very inspired I'm not sure when or if I'll be able to turn that inspiration into anything productive. I try and try, and sometimes I succeed. Sometimes I make myself. But when it comes to scripts, novels and screenplays, all I can see is the big picture and all the work ahead of me and I get overwhelmed. I've talked about that problem I have before on here, and it's something I haven't yet overcome.

Maybe tomorrow will be different. I don't know. What I do know is I am a creative guy with lots of ideas, and I've got to find a way to get them out there, I just have to. Change is something we need to survive, and change is something I need to do to get where I want to go. Maybe changing the way I do things on this level will be the first necessary step...


6 comments:

Crazz said...

As a detractor of the prequels, let me point out two things (besides the ridiculousness that is Jar-Jar or the racist anti-Asian accents of the trade Federation) that have stuck out as just poor story-telling and point to Lucas completely getting away from what he was originally doing (but then again, hey, it was 20 years later and he became a parent.....your perspective changes, so I understand and forgive)

1. In Episode IV, at one point Luke says he wants to become a Jedi Knight like "my father and his father before him." But in Episode one he takes the lame stance that Luke was a miraculous conception born of midiclorians (or however you spell it). That change, IMHO, destroyed a great line where Luke decides to pick up the torch and follow in the footsteps of his family.

2. In Episode 3, R2D2 pulls out the "leg rockets" and is able to fly??? WTF. Putting aside the the fact that he is still a robot, built on an assembly line like an automobile, why would you need to include that (even as an option) for a droid that spends most of it's time in a fighter space ship? (Which, if you really think about it is overkill anyways since if they had the technology why not just be practical and put that AI into the damn ship in the first place? Just silly)

Anyways, that's my rant.

BUT, I enjoyed the films in their own right. I just think they were a poor choice of storytelling to lead into a prequel)

Brant W. Fowler said...

I actually like Jar-Jar despite the claim of the racial implications of his creation. I personally don't think that was intended.

As for the midiclorians, as I understood it they were the essence of life more or less. And unless I missed something, in episode three Padme gave birth to Anakin's children, Luke and Leia, so I don't see where they were miraculously conceived. If you meant to say that Anakin was conceived in that manner, then yeah, I can see what you mean.

As for R2 flying, I LOVED that, so I'm in disagreement with you there. But we're all entitled to our opinions. I love all six films with Empire and Revenge of the Sith being my favorites.

Crazz said...

LOL..........you actually liked R2D2 flying???


Now we can no longer be friends and must swear blood oaths and fight to the death!!

Jason B-L/ DragonFUZE said...

Crazz, I am on your side. The Phantom Menace was a tragedy of a film (Jar Jar is just one of its many flaws). Attack of the Clones was much stronger, but somewhat non-sensical (just one example: If you can send a little ship up to a window to discharge two slugs to kill Padme, why not just have the ship blast the room to smithereens?).

ROTS was a much stronger film and had some of an emotional punch (which the first 2 prequels lacked), but the acting was horrible, the dialog diabolical and not to mention that Padme's pregnancy lasted only 1 hour!

Also in Return of the Jedi, Leia mentions to Luke that she remembers her mother, implying that she spent time with Padme while Luke was given to Obi-Wan to keep him safe from Vader.

Of course, Padme died when the twins were barely minutes old, so that part of the story, again one of the key emotional arcs, is rendered mute.

Lucas has a great imagination, but when he isn't drawing directly from Joseph Campbell's ideas (A New Hope is based entirely on The Hero with a Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell), he is a flawed storyteller.

Brant W. Fowler said...

Yep, sorry, loved R2 flying. That was a beautiful thing. :)

And in my defense, guys, it's been a long while since I watched the originals (I caught the end of A New Hope several months ago, but beyond that, it's been years), so maybe my memory isn't serving me as well as yours. One of these days I'll take a weekend and watch all six back to back and see what holds up and what doesn't. :)

Jason B-L/ DragonFUZE said...

Watching all 6 back to back is my dream, but I don't know when I will ever have the time to do it...