Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Living Through the Madness

I have finally emerged from my weekend plus absence by and large. I've been writing, writing, and then some. And for the past two days I've had a toothache, so there's that.

I was finally able to go out today and do my first Christmas shopping of the year TWO DAYS before Christmas! And it was a nasty day, too, with cold weather and rain that turned into freezing rain. I went out around 8am and aside from returning to the house once to drop off something, I was out until about 4:30pm or so. And let me tell ya, I was beat! And my tooth was really hurting. Luckily, my dentist called in a prescription for me which has helped tremendously.

First I hit K-Mart and then Wal-Mart, spending about an hour and a half to two hours between the two. I then popped into the Dollar General Store briefly. And that was it for Winchester. I then had to brave lunch hour traffic in Lexington in Hamburg, a huge shopping plaza with various stores and restaurants. And I'm talking a Meijer, Wal-Mart, Target and many more within 30 seconds of each other. It was a mess.

I didn't find much as I went from store to store looking for specific items. I hit Target first, then Kohls, Bath and Body Works, Best Buy, Meijer, Office Max, Gordmans, Marshall's, Gamestop and a few others I don't even remember now. In Gordmans I was checked out (no pun intended) by a very sweet and attractive girl, but foolishly I didn't really speak to her beyond pleasantries. I think I'll make a point to go back there.

At some point between stores I was driving along and some car beeped their horn at me. It was an elderly man who kept looking at me and pointing, and then I heard it as I hit a bump. My trunk flew up and slammed down, then again. So I thanked the gentleman and pulled over to make sure my gifts hadn't gone AWOL. They hadn't, thankfully.

After being frustrated and whipped not being able to find what I was looking for, and having only bought a few small things with what little money I had to spend, I went further into Lexington to check out Big Lots. I didn't find anything there either and immediately regretted going that far.

I wanted to go even further in and hit Burlington Coat Factory, and then the Mall, but it was around 4 at that point and the weather, my tooth and the chaos that is last minute Christmas shopping at peak traffic times just did me in and so I headed home.

Unfortunately, there were a couple of fender benders and I was stuck in traffic. Now, if you're not familiar with Lexington and Winchester, KY, there is one road in both cities that is a straight shot between the two. In Lexington it's called Winchester Rd., and in Winchester it's called Lexington Ave. In both it's called US 60. There's also the interstate, but sometimes that's more trouble than it's worth. So I headed out Winchester Rd and almost instantly it was stop and go traffic. And seeing as how it's already about 20-25 minutes home from that point, this easily added an extra 15 minutes to my travel time. Not to mention I had to stop at my uncle's on the way home, and I was tired and in pain.

So I get maybe two minutes down the road and under the bridge I ever so lightly tap my breaks (we were only going like 5 miles an hour at this point) and my car just decides to start skidding and then fishtails nearly taking out three cars in the process. Yep, black ice was beginning to form on the roads. So needless to say, it was a very slow drive home even after traffic finally cleared up about halfway to Winchester.

Then I stopped at my uncle's house, which is a little more than halfway between the two cities, and lo and behold he wasn't home. Had I had minutes on my phone I would have known this, but seeing how I didn't I stopped for no reason.

When I got back into Winchester I still wasn't done as I had to head to Kroger to pick up my prescription. And as luck would have it, as soon as I parked the rain started coming down heavier and the wind started blowing harder. Fortunately, the prescription was ready and I was in and out in a flash.

When I finally got home, after maneuvering around the treat the neighbor's dog left in our yard, I almost slipped and fell on the driveway as it was completely iced over. So gingerly, I unloaded the car and headed in the house, where I have been ever since and I'm not going back out there, you can't make me!

All in all, it was a somewhat productive day. I didn't get what I wanted, but I did get a few things that my giftees will enjoy, so that will have to do. I also got out of the house for a whole day, which is a rarity for me as I'm usually chained to the keyboard. And I met a pretty girl, which is never a bad thing.

Tonight I'm doing just a bit of writing and then I'm going to crash. Tomorrow will be wrapping and then it's Christmas!

Tomorrow I will also be posting something special for you all, and then another special posting Christmas day. So make sure you check it out. It will be my way of wishing you all Happy Holidays.

B-Out

2 comments:

Jason B-L/ DragonFUZE said...

Sounds like a manic day. Make sure you go back to Gordmans!

Brant W. Fowler said...

Oh believe me, I will! :)