Friday, December 26, 2008

Christmas: The After Party

So Christmas turned out to be really quaint and nice this year. I only had two hours of sleep Christmas Eve because I woke up with a toothache, but things got progressively better from there.

I took some medicine and then got online and checked my emails and stuff, and then just sat downstairs enjoying the tree for a bit. But let me backtrack a little first.

Christmas Eve was a little bit stressful. As you know, I did all my Christmas shopping in one day, the day before Christmas Eve, Tuesday. After that insanity I explained how I had to go out Wednesday and regretted it. Well, when I got home I still had to wrap everything, but I had a toothache then as well, and I was exhausted, so as I explained previously, I crashed for a few hours then wrapped. But at some point we all stopped and opened one gift as we normally do. This year, like most, it was pajamas all around.

I was up late wrapping, past 1am for sure. When I finally got done I took all the presents downstairs to the tree. I wish I had a digital camera so I could show you guys pictures. Anyway, once we got the presents all placed it looked pretty magnificent all things considered. I don't know how we managed to make it look like that because there wasn't a lot, but it was nice. Afterward. I settled in and started watching A Christmas Story. I got through most of it, save about 45 minutes, then I fell asleep. Well, naturally they were having a marathon of it, and sure enough, when I woke up it was right at the point, or maybe 2-3 minutes past the point I had fallen asleep on. So I finished watching it like there was no break at all. That was pretty neat.

Ok, so after checking emails and everything everyone was still asleep, so I hopped in the tub and nearly fell asleep. I got out and it was 10am. We had to be at my aunt's by 2, so I got them up and away we went. Well, I caught a little bit of the parade waiting for them to wake up. But then it was off to the presents.

We always do stockings first, and they were overflowing. And if you could see the size of our stockings, that's a feat under the circumstances. Most of it was candy (Andes mints, Hersheys miniatures, carmels and other stuff), but some nice little presents. I got some Axe deoderant and body spray, a Dragonlance (Amber & Blood) paperback, and the first of my DVDs, which I believe was Get Smart. My mom got some socks, a snowman stuffed animal and a snowman figureine (she collects snowman stuff), as well as a canister of espresso cookies and some star-shaped peppermint peeps. My brother got some World of Wacraft cards, some earbud headphones and also some Axe spray.

Then it was onto presents. Zach played Santa for the first time this year and we would each get one gift and open them simultaneously, and then another, and so on. Zach had the most presents, and I had the least, so there was a little waiting in between. Like mom opened two in a row while I waited, then we both waited for Zach to open about four, then we opened our biggest gifts together at the end.

I came away with five DVDs (Get Smart, Dark Knight, Hellboy II, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, and Wanted), a few pajama sets (the only thing I wear around the house - t-shirt and pajama bottoms), house slippers, some comics (Superman and Action Man issues of the New Krypton storyline), a shirt I have to take back (it's the same shirt I wore to Thanksgiving and was wearing Tuesday, but mom just got confused. lol. I have to exchange it for a different color), and my big gift, a desk chair with arms (the one I had we acquired when a bank was redecorating and was throwing furniture out, and it had no arms).

Mom got a bunch of socks, two pajama sets, house slippers, a 4-slice toaster (we've been using the same toaster since before Zach was born), a makeup case (really nice silver one with compartments I found for a really good price), a purse and some slimline hangers she saw on TV that I found at Bed, Bath and Beyond. I also bought her some mineral makeup, but it never arrived. I wasn't able to get her any of the big things she wanted as we concentrated our efforts on Zach. But she seemed pleased with what she did get.

Zach had the big haul. He got some World of Warcraft comics, a couple of pajama sets, a shirt, a gaming keyboard with headset and mouse that was half-off, some World of Warcraft miniatures, a laptop tray, two Xbox 360 games (Gears of War II and Fallout 3), and his two big gifts, Guitar Hero World Tour Complete Band Kit (with drums, guitar and microphone), and his laptop fixed. I couldn't quite afford the new computer he wanted, so I had to go the cheaper route, but he seemed pleased about it.

So all in all, it turned out pretty decent and we were blessed to have that much for sure.

After we opened presents we had to hop in the shower and get dressed. We ended up being almost an hour late to my aunt's and everybody was waiting anxiously to chow down, so we began eating almost immediately, after a quick prayer of course. We had sandwich stuff as we normally do on Christmas, but it was a nice spread. There was potato salad and macaroni salad (neither of which I like) and there were both heated hoagies and croissants to eat our sandwhiches on. We had country ham, honey smoked turkey, salami and chicken salad, several types of cheese (pepperjack, cheddar and colby), various 'fixings' (tomatos, lettuce, onions, pickles and jalapenos), various condiments, several kinds of chips, and some celery and dip. Then there were the desserts, which included jam cake, cheescake, cheesecake tarts, a white chocolate covered chex mix, and marble pound cake. We ate, then just joked around and had fun. A few went to see Marley and Me and cried (it has a sad ending I'm told), while others stayed and made fun of me singing on YouTube. :) They actually liked it, they just made fun of my mannerisms in good fun.

I gave out Wannabez Christmas postcards and copies of Wannabez #0 (none of them had seen it yet), and they seemed impressed, so that was cool.

Then we headed home and were going to watch Indy 4, but, well, we had a bit of drama after a good day and I just went to bed. I woke up about 5:30 this morning with a toothache again and took some medicine again, then read issue #1 of Stykman Jonnie Allan had sent me. Very good book, by the way. If you get a chance, check it out! Hilarious.

Zach was still up when I woke up as he had been playing Guitar Hero all night. He went to bed about 6am and is still in bed. Mom got up about 10, and she and I watched Fred Clause around 11, which is a cute movie. There's one or two cheesy parts in it, but it's a fun family flick.

And that brings me to now. All the sales are going on now, but I'm broke, but content, so it's all good. :) We'll probably watch Indy 4 tonight (mom really wants to see that) and just chill at home enjoying not having to do anything today.

We all missed my cousin Susan and her husband Vince this year. As I mentioned before, they are in Mexico, and they had a real scare the other day. They got caught in a riptide and were having trouble staying above water. There were red flags up on the beach, but other people were in the water and they didn't know the flags meant it wasn't safe to go in. So it was a scary moment. Luckily they managed to get out of it okay, thank God, but it was a close one. Vince is a very fit guy (he's a personal trainer), and he was yelling for help because there was nothing he could do. But they're okay now and that's what's important.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that my cousin Matt let me listen to some of his new songs. He's in a band called Society's Plague that I've mentioned in this blog before. Well they just recorded a CD that will be out soon, and they're going on tour in late January starting in California. They don't have a label yet, but they have been really getting out there for a while now. They have improved so much over the years too. I've recollected on her before about how they started off as a garage band just down the street from where I live now, and just a few short years later they are making waves and sound ten times better. Their new songs are really cool. It's not my style of music, but they're very good at what they do, and that's said with no bais.

The next time the family will be together is next week at Susan and Vince's house for New Years. Should be fun, playing games and stuff.

And that's it for Christmas '08. I hope you all had a super blessed holiday like me.

B-Out

No comments: