Thursday, November 06, 2008

League of Extraodinary Gentlemen

As you know, if you've been reading the blog, the other day I picked up the first trade of Alan Moore's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen since I had never read it before. Well, now I've read the first chapter (or issue as it were) and I have to say I'm loving it.

One reason I had never checked it out was because the art style didn't appeal to me, but I've come to actually enjoy it. It's quirky and old school, and it works nicely with the story.

I have not read a lot of Moore's stuff, but gradually I intend to read more and more of it. I really liked Watchmen when I read it for the first time earlier this year, and I like this so far as well.

After having read only one chapter of this book, though, I can now understand why fans of the comic where sorely disappointed in the movie. Now, I really enjoyed the movie and have watched it several times, but I had nothing to compare it to. As a stand alone movie with no ties to anything I think it's a pretty enjoyable popcorn flick. Great action, great drama, and great acting. But even after reading just the small amount of the book that I have, it is nothing like the comic.

Now, had Moore gotten involved in the films instead of washing his hands of them, like Frank Miller, maybe they would have been more faithful, who knows? But as it is, the characters are completely different and the story, from the very beginning, is much different. Quartermain is a much more complex character in the book and has more appeal to me personally.

So I do understand the chagrin of Moore fans who watched the movie hoping for an adaptation, but I also understand the merits of the movie by itself.

As for the book, I am finding myself to be a Moore fan. He's not my favorite writer, and I don't think he's the god people make him out to be. But he is very talented and has a unique style all his own that certainly stands out. He also has unique ideas and a sensibility that is in tune with what readers want.

Hopefully I still feel that way after I've read the entire trade...

B-Out

No comments: