Wednesday, November 05, 2008

It Has All Changed

Well, love it or hate it, embrace it or resist it, change has come and Barack Obama is the president of the United States - the first African-American president at that. History has been made, and change is upon us.

At least, that's what we've been told for two years now, that "it's time for a change" and "yes we can". Whether or not that change will come, and whether or not that change will be a good thing or what we actually need remains to be seen.

The next four years (at least) will be something to watch intently. There are issues and stances in Obama's platform that I agree with, and there are issues and stances in his platform I disagree with. We oppose each other on certain morals, principles and values, and unite in other areas.

I also agreed and disagreed with a lot of things John McCain stood for, and my voting decision was not made lightly, nor was it an easy one. I wrestled up to the very time I hit the button locking in my vote, as I have mentioned before. I made all my other selections saving the presidential candidate for last. My finger hovered over the buttons for what seemed an eternity in the span of a minute. I wasn't sure which was the lesser of two evils, and which would represent me and what I stand for the best.

In the end I'm still not sure if I made the right choice, but I stand by my decision. What the choice was I won't discuss here. Sometimes there's a time to stand on a soap box, for me that time is not now. I didn't and still don't feel strongly enough about either candidate over the other to take such a permanent stance.

I considered not voting, and I couldn't even remember if I had registered this year. Fortunately, yesterday afternoon I remembered that I had registered when I renewed my license earlier this year. And then I realized that I did not want the most historical election in our nation's history to pass by without me having my voice in the matter, however small.

If I voted for McCain, it did little to sway the vote. Though Kentucky predominately voted McCain, he was not the victor.

If I voted for Obama, it also did little as Kentucky's electoral votes went for McCain.

In the grand scheme of things, my one vote changed nothing in this particular instance. But, also in the grand scheme of things, all of us together, as a people and not as individuals, did choose our president by knowing that collectively our votes do count.

I am proud to live in a democracy where our voices, however small they may be individually, can be heard and counted in the matters of this nation. I'm not completely sold on the government actually supporting its people and is working towards our betterment, but I hold out hope for that to be the case nevertheless.

I hope you went out and voted yesterday and made your voice be heard whoever your affiliation or choice. And let's all pray that regardless of who holds that esteemed office that whatever changes they bring will be for the betterment of the people of the United States of America. We can only pray and hope that is the case.

B-Out

No comments: