Sunday, November 23, 2008

Eyes Crossing

That sounds like a cool location in a story, doesn't it? "Eyes Crossing". Maybe spelled differently, maybe not. I think I may use that someday in some meaningful way.

I got up about 8 this morning, though I didn't really want to, but I was too cold to go back to sleep. So I got up, checked my email and then ate some cereal while I watched some wrestling I had taped yesterday. Then it was time to start my day officially.

Today I worked on some logos, did a bit of writing, did some Haven work, and started working on something for Comic Related. I also prepped some lettering files and downloaded some new files, and that's about it. Doesn't sound like much, but from about 10 to 9 I was working on the computer, save what time it took to make lunch (a cheese sandwich) and try a recipe, which I'll elaborate on later.

At 9 I popped some dinner in the oven and watched True Blood. I've really gotten into that show, and I hate that it's done for the season. But at least it'll be on in the summer when everything else is on hiatus. It's a very addictive show.

So after that I worked a bit more and checked emails again, and now here I am trying to wind down for a bit before working some more then heading off to bed. After all, Thanksgiving is coming up, and I'd like to get as much done as I can before Thursday so I can enjoy some of the long weekend.

I'm making a dessert and possibly a drink for the holiday. I'm always trying to find something new I can contribute every year. Years ago I made featherbed rolls, which we hadn't had since my Nana was alive, and everybody loved them. They are very involved though, so time is against me on those this year.

Last year I made a pumpkin black olive dip with green and red peppers for the dipping, which was a big hit I was told (I wasn't there). And the year before that I made these red pepper pecan cheddar poppers as an appetizer which everyone also loved. One year I attempted to make a pumpkin cheesecake after getting the recipe from someone at work (theirs was delicious!), but it didn't turn out. And once I made pumpkin bread, which was pretty good.

This year I'm making a pumpkin gingerbread trifle and possibly homemade egg nog. The trifle uses gingerbread, gingersnaps, pumpkin pie filling, cool whip, cinnamon and vanilla pudding, and it looks very delectable in the picture. And I have clear trifle bowls as in the picture so the beauty of it can be admired. :)

Now, I recently found out that my cousin Jay has gone completely vegetarian. He's never cared that much for meat and has never liked eggs, but occasionally he would eat some kind of meat (though very rare) and would eat stuff with eggs in it. Now, though, he won't eat anything made with eggs. So, I got this bright idea to experiment with the gingerbread, which calls for an egg, to substitute the egg. I looked it up online and tried applesauce this go around. It didn't alter the taste too much, but it also didn't give it that light fluffiness eggs do. And before it cooled it made the middle moister than it should be. After it cooled, it wasn't as moist and tasted better, but it was heavier than it needed to be. So I'm going to try some other substitute. I know you can use a banana or water and baking powder or corn starch, but I'm not sure which substitute will give me the texture I want.

As for the egg nog, Jay used to love it, but they don't sell eggless egg nog around here. So I looked up a recipe and I'm going to try it tomorrow. I love egg nog too, but I hate eggs and can't stand most things that taste like eggs. I'd say before long I'll be just like Jay in this respect. I lost my taste for red meat over a decade ago, and chicken grosses me out from time to time also. So it's only a matter of time, I think, before I'm a complete vegetarian. Not today though, I will be eating turkey this Thursday.

See, I always try to make something Jay can eat because he's my boy. We grew up like brothers, even living together for a few years, and I feel his pain. Since I stopped eating most meats there was many a family function I'd go to and there would be absolutely nothing for me to eat. So I started understanding what he had gone through for years. So I always try to bring something that everyone will like, but that Jay and I can eat also. But he's really not a sweets person, so even though the trifle will be edible for him, I thought I'd try the egg nog as well. We'll see.

Mom was debating on making a pear cobbler too, which he'd probably eat. He and I prefer fruit dishes over richer choices anyway. I'd take a cherry pie, for instance, over anything chocolate or even caramel anyday. That stuff is just too rich for me and I feel sick after eating it.

That said, pumpkin pie is one of my vices, so I will definitely be digging into that!

If anyone knows any really good, really cheap fruit or vegetarian dishes to make I'm all ears!

Man, I've got so much I want to do and my brain is just constantly moving towards fifty directions, but I keep trying to get things finished so I can focus on those other things. It's a challenge, because those other things pay the bills, and I NEED those other things. lol. But rest assured, big things are on the horizon. My mind is swirling with so many things right now I'm just so excited about them all. But as I've noted here before, many times I look at the big picture and see all these things I want to do, then see where I'm at and get overwhelmed and stifled. I'm trying really hard right now to focus on the tasks at hand and just keep those other things in the back of my mind ready to leap out when the moment presents itself.

Comic Jobz is hopefully going to really take off next year, but right now I really see a lof of Comic Related in my future. I'm really enjoying contributing to that site, and I haven't felt this inspired since my days of running SBC. I just really want to push CR as much as I can. I feel like - no, I know Chuck and everyone else there are just so for edifying each other and giving back, and so it makes it easier to want to do big things there. Not for any hope of anything back, just because a community like that that is concerned with helping and promoting each other is the kind of positive momentum we as struggling creators all need. As the saying goes, no man is an island to himself, and many times when we're out there all alone surrounded by our own problems we can become very discouraged in our creative endeavors. I know I have in the past. And Comic Related is a place I can go and be inspired and uplifted just simply by being surrounded by the creativity and drive present there. DW is like this in some parts too, especially the lettering forum where I hang out a lot.

Speaking of Digital Webbing, you all need to check out Fist of Justice and other titles they're producing. DW has tapered off a lot lately and there were doom and gloom fears (unfounded naturally, at least for now) for a while there. They were once a great resource for many, and still are for some (namely me), and they need our support. If it wasn't for DW I may never have found the tools I acquired that brought me to the point I'm at today. I owe a lot to that site and the people involved with it.

Well, I'm off to do something or the other, so I'll bid you all goodnight for now unless I think of anything else to ramble on about.

B-Out

No comments: