Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Movie (Short) Reviews

Hittin' 'em quick, just 'cause I can!

3:10 to Yuma
I'm not a big Western guy, and there are very few I actually like, but I thought I'd give this one a shot. I wasn't disappointed. It wasn't the greatest movie I had ever seen (or even the greatest Western), but it was entertaining, if a little slow and drawn out at times. I don't regret watching it though.

Speed Racer
I think I may have already talked about this one on here. Maybe not, I can't remember. Anyway, it was a fun flick. I'm glad I didn't pay money to go see it, but it was still pretty entertaining for me. Having only seen the cartoon a couple of times I didn't really have anything to compare it to, but it seemed to get all the references and homages to it correct.

The Heartbreak Kid
All of Ben Stiller's movies feel like the same movie to me anymore. I loved Meet the Parents, but all the rest just seem like lame attempts to recapture that particular magic. This one does not. Moving on...

The Happening
M. Night Shyamalan is notorious for making novels/films with deep, underlying themes and "lessons" in them, and this one is no different. Unfortunately, from the first mention of plants it becomes apparent what this movie is really about and it comes off overly preachy. Furthermore, while I really liked what The Village represented, all of his movies feel the same. They have the same type of dialogue, the same pacing, and the same, well, dumbness intertwined in them all. And finally, whoever told Mark Wahlburg to portray his character in the manner he did issued him no favors. He was so unbelievable in that role.

The Forbidden Kingdom
Not exactly what I expected, but it was a fun, family friendly martial arts flick, surprisingly with the kid from Sky High as the lead. Jet Li was phenomenal as the Monkey King, and Chan, of course, was a natural as a drunken master again. And the girl that played Sparrow was not only a talented actress and martial artist, she was stunning as well. Overall, I enjoyed it enough.

Definitely, Maybe
Cheesy at times, but romantic to be sure. Decent date movie, and it made me feel lonely. It was good for what it was to be sure.

I know there are a couple more I watched recently, but I still can't think of what they were. Must not have left a lasting impression...

B-Out

2 comments:

Jason B-L/ DragonFUZE said...

I really like Ben Stiller - so I enjoyed that one. I haven't seen any of the other movies you mentioned.

Ray said...

The only one I've seen is The Happening and it was the biggest load of rubbish I've seen in a while. Shame because I like Mark Wahlberg