Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Comic Book Challenge

As I mentioned before, I am still heavily considering entering the contest, but it depends on a number of factors. One very important one being my artists having time to work on the projects, and me being able to compensate them in some way, shape or form that works for them.

That said, there are three possibly concepts I may enter. Scott (Simmons) and I are working on a project that is fleshing out quite nicely as of today. But Scott has some other important work in front of that, so we'll see.

I'm also working on a fantasy project with Michael Kasinger (Tiki's Phayrie) that I've revived from three or four years ago. My brother actually came up with the concept for it, roughly, and I just fleshed it out and made it into a story. It was going to be a part of the universe of a comic company I edited for back then, but they've since gone out of business, and I've removed references to it in the script. (NIX THAT! As I was typing this, Michael emailed me and said the story was cool, but wasn't for him, even though he dug the plot initially. So... I think we're going to try to come up with something new).

And third, I have a horror project in the works with Jason Moser (Ellium), but most likely his schedule isn't going to allow time to work on it before the deadline.

With at least two of these we are definitely continuing on whether we enter the contest or not, and whether we place in the contest or not. The other I'm not sure as I haven't talked with the artist beyond the contest.

Now, added to the hesitancy about rights that I mentioned a few posts ago, something else came to my attention yesterday that makes me a little wary as well. DJ Coffman, the winner of the first CBC with his book, Hero By Night, blogged recently about Platinum canceling his book due to some financial issues. DJ still praised Platinum in the post, but one still has to wonder if the same couldn't happen to the winner of this year's contest. Granted, Platinum did put out the first mini series, and three issues (I think) of the ongoing before canceling, but still...

Providing the art is completed in time, I'll still enter, and I'll cross those bridges if one of them makes it into the top 50, which is when you have to start signing stuff.

I'll keep you posted.

B-Out

3 comments:

Crazz said...

I think you should pass on this one Brant. I just can't trust anyone who wants to talk ALL and leave you with nothing. It just seems like a bad deal to me.

Brant W. Fowler said...

Well, like I said, I'm going to enter, and then if I get picked for the top fifty I'll look the contract over and decide from there. There's no harm in the first stage of it. Plus, it's really gotten me writing again. I've written so much today it's crazy. The most I've written in months!

dragonfuze said...

COOL to hear that you are working with Mek (Michael Kasinger). He has come a long way since TIKI and is an awesome artist. Let me know how it goes!