Monday, May 19, 2008

Moving Away, Then Not, Then Maybe...

Well, folks, as most of you know, last week I went out of town. What most of you didn't know was why I went out of town, so let me break it down for you.

A few weeks ago I was contacted by an online comic retailer about a possible job opportunity. Basically they offered me the job based on my online work that they had followed, and wanted to fly me down and put me up for a week. So I went and spent the week down there checking the place out and learning what the job entailed.

The salary they offered was decent, and parts of the job were fun and exciting. Other parts were not quite as glamorous, but still a pretty cool experience.

So, after a week of wrestling with the decision to move away and take this job I accepted the position last Friday morning. They were thrilled, and thus a new chapter of my life was to begin.

24 hours later that changed a bit. I had emailed them to discuss a few details, and one arbitrary sentence at the end of the email I typed at 3am caused them to reevaluate things and they took the offer off the plate.

So, after emails and phone conversations trying to straighten all this out, now instead of moving down immediately (like tomorrow) as was planned, I'm waiting to hear, probably for a couple of weeks, whether this is still the direction they want to go or not.

All that said, it is still possible that in a few weeks I'll be moving away to take a nice job with some perks moving away from my home of the last 26 years. Then again, it's possible I won't. So I'll keep you posted. Not that it affects any of you, but in the transition there would definitely be some lag time for lettering projects and so forth.

The job itself is twofold. One side of it, the side I like, involves marketing, interviewing creators, managing content and so forth as I am familiar with and have done for the past two plus years. The other side is working convention booths, specifically the register and managing people, at twelve cons throughout the year. Not to mention driving the con truck to all these places. This is the part I'm not as crazy about, but is still pretty cool.

So anyway, I guess I'll have to wait and see what the final decision is, even though I had already accepted and they had already offered. I guess that's the way things go sometimes though.

In the meantime, I'm back home catching up on all my emails and starting back to lettering work today and tomorrow. I'm also looking out for other opportunities both locally and abroad just in case this falls through as last week's trip showed me that regardless of what happens I am ready for the next chapter in my life, and I'm ready to spread my wings and start more actively pursuing my ultimate goals.

If this particular job doesn't happen I am still doing my best to make preparations to make it to Wizard World Chicago at the end of next month. I'm not sure if it will work out or not, but I know a lot of people who will be there and I'd like to hook up with them if I can. And if I do get this job I'll be there as well, but I'll be stuck at the booth through the duration of the event.

So, that's what's up, people.

B-Out

No comments: