Saturday, March 08, 2008

More Aches & Pains, and Hospital Visit

Well, this has been one heck of a week. I finally got my tooth settled down enough to actually sleep in my bed last night, but then awoke with stomach pain.

At first, I thought it was like the episodes in the past, but it quickly escalated to something more severe. I can't really explain the pain other than to say it felt like there was something in there pushing out on my rib cage very hard. It was intense pressure to the point it hurt to breathe or talk, and I couldn't get comfortable at all.

After throwing up three times I finally decided to call 911. So at 3am I got to the hospital, where I would stay for the next 6 and 1/2 hours being evaluated. After two sets of X-Rays, a CAT scan, two IVs and throwing up one more time they figure it's probably my gallbladder.

All other vitals looked good. I had no fever, no blockage, just intense pain. But they're still not sure, so I have to go back Monday morning for an Ultra Sound to figure things out, and who knows what from there. I also can't eat any food at all for the next two days, just clear liquids like water and Gatorade.

I was also told to take it easy and get plenty of rest, so if it wasn't before, the schedule for this week is pretty much out the window. I'm in pain right now, though subdued, because I haven't been able to get the prescriptions filled yet (had to take a cab home, and have no way out now). Plus the roads are pretty bad today due to sleeting and snowing all night.

But at least I'm finally taking care of this problem. I just don't have a clue how I'm going to pay for it. I have no insurance and virtually no money.

So anyway, keep me in prayer, guys and gals, I need it.

B-OUt

4 comments:

dragonfuze said...

Hey Brant, You are doing the right thing by taking care of this. I know this sounds insensitive, but money comes and goes, you need your health for ever. Does that make sense? Please stay positive and know that there will be a way to get the medical care that you need.

Crazz said...

Gallbladder pain is some of the absolute worst pain a person can experience. Cary can back me up on this. I spent my birthday in 05 in the hospital for 5 days getting my gallbladder removed. I was literally laying on the floor of the ER in the fetal position crying because the pain was so bad.

While it is pricey, once that thing is gone you will never have that pain again. Jason is right about money coming and going, but if it is your gallbladder, it's worth it to get it out. I say this because what you described is a mid-mild type attack---they will get worse if you can believe it or not.

This isn't something you can "tough" out for a few months or years either. Once it goes bad, every day will be like you had the other night, just more intense.

Sorry I don't have a better message for you, but I'm telling you what you need to hear.

Good luck and keep me posted.

Brant W. Fowler said...

Jason, you're not being insensitive, but the thing is I literally have less than 10 bucks to my name and no insurance. It's not a matter of me not willing to pay it, it's me literally not being able to afford it.

Chuck, actually I must not have described it right then, because it was anything but mild. It was the worst pain I've felt in my life. It felt like my insides were exploding and I couldn't breathe. I was screaming out in pain. So I know what you mean, man.

Anyway, thanks for the support as always, guys, it means a lot.

Ray said...

Brant, I can't add too much but relax and concern yourself with getting better and the money will sort itself out.
Will be praying for you man, I can't do much else than that from the other side of the world.