Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Gall Stones

Yep, got three of 'em. The gallbladder itself doesn't look particularly bad, and nothing else is wrong, but because of those three I'll eventually have to have my gallbladder removed. How quickly depends on how much pain I have, how often I have it, and how long it lasts when I have it.

For several months it was at least once a week or every other week, and was mild and passed after a couple of hours. The other night it didn't stop until I got IVs in me at the hospital, and I still haven't fully recovered from it 4 days later. So I'm thinking I should probably look into it.

The thing is there's no treatment for the stones save removing the gallbladder. Problem is it's an expensive surgery and I don't have insurance. So I'm going to look into assistance, and in the meantime, I have to watch my diet, which means none of my favorite foods for a while, like anything with tomatoes in it. Bummer.

So while I'm glad it's nothing more serious, and nothing to do with my liver, I'm still not crazy about having surgery, even if it is an outpatient procedure. Hopefully, though, finances and assistance will come together and I can get rid of this monkey on my back and go back to some semblance of a normal eating life.

But from what I understand from what little I've read about it, even after having the surgery you have to watch your diet because the gallbladder is what stores the bile. Without it, the bile goes straight into the intestines. I know there are diets online for those just having had the surgery. My question to those of you out there that have had the surgery is what kind of foods do you have to stay away from now, if any?

B-Out

7 comments:

dragonfuze said...

I can't help you re the food you have to stay away from. Please let me know if I can help you with anything...

Crazz said...

I eat pretty much as I did prior to the surgery. Just don't over do any fried or greasy foods.

And I called your last episode mild because it went away with just an IV. My first gallbladder attack was like that, and it was nothing compared to the other two. As tough as it was, it can and will seriously get worse.

Any chance you can get a job at a starbucks near by? I hear you only need to work 20 hours a week to get health insurance.

Cary said...

yeah i stay away from greasy foods at all costs but other than that...pretty much unchanged. they told me i'd be good in ten days. they lied. took me almost a month to feel right again. medical people lie through their teeth. i hate em. but i'd say if it's giving you issues get it outta there.

Brant W. Fowler said...

See, my problem right now is almost everything I eat has spices or tomatoes in it, and I can't have any of that stuff. It's brutal. I've been eating stuff like cottage cheese and fruit, cream of wheat, and seasonless chicken on plain rice. Blech. I'm a big pasta fan, I love A1 on my chicken, or BBQ sauce, the only salad dressing I like is Italian, Mexican and Italian are my favorite foods period, etc. Even the fruits I like (strawberries, raspberries, citrus fruits...) are off limits. And I eat a lot of whole wheat bread as opposed to white, but from what I understand that's not good either. So I've really had to cut out about 80% of my normal eating habits or more, and I'm not lovin' it. lol

Jenny said...

Well, since I don't have any personal experience to pull from for this, I did a google search and came up with some terrifying websites that basically tell you to eat only fresh foods and cut out eggs, pork, and tap water (apparently some research shows that eggs caused symptons in up to 95% of patients.) Of course, it also lists other no-nos like coffee and fried foods. Although, on this list, ripe tomatoes are on the "good list".

Here's the link if you want to check it out:
http://www.gallbladderattack.com/gallbladderdiet.shtml#gallstonediet

CCG Coordinator said...

Brant,

Sorry to hear of your health concerns! My Mom just had that surgery a couple of months ago - good news is she is much better now. She would have incapacitating pain - but this surgery seems to be low risk/high benefit. Wish you didn't have to go through this - especially so young!
Take care man,
JG

Ray said...

Brant, been away just catching up on you. great you have a diagnosis. I'm an advocate of healthy eating so cut out whatever you have to and you will get used to it. Hope you can come up with a solution with the expense. We don't realise how lucky we are here with issues like this. Let me know if I can do anything more than the usual.