Saturday, November 10, 2007

TV and Movies

So, while I've been laid up I've gotten to watch a lot of TV, which includes a few movies. So since I'm bored at the moment I figured why not talk about them a little.

It's kind of odd that my friend Cary would post on his blog today about watching Aeon Flux and Ultraviolet recently as I myself just watched Aeon Flux the other day and Ultraviolet is up soon. I basically agree with what he said about the former. It was a decent action flick and the story and acting was pretty decent. I never watched the old MTV cartoon, so I didn't have anything to compare it to except for other movies, but it was good for what it was. It had some cool action sequences and so forth as well.

As for Ultraviolet, I didn't have high hopes for it, and after reading Cary's thoughts I still don't. But I'll watch it anyway just once.

I also finally saw Rent last night. I had never seen the play, and I'm not one much for musicals, but the opening number really appealed to me, so I gave it a shot. Turns out it was much more about equality and tolerance than anything else, but for a musical it was a pretty good one. I think they tried to push certain things on the audience, but all in all it had some good messages intertwined and both the singing and acting were really great. I didn't know Taye Diggs and Rosario Dawson could sing like that either! And I'm not normally a huge fan of Dawson, but she was superb in this role. So kudos to her.

Friday Night Lights is a favorite show of mine at the moment, which is strange because I've never been into football. For some reason I just really like the drama of this series, and here in it's second season the show is still hitting on all cylinders for me.

I caught a little bit of Miami Vice the movie as well, and that was really enough for me. In the first few minutes it looked a lot like a million other movies out there. I may finish it, I may not, but I can see why it didn't do great.

Let's see... oh yeah, I finally saw Silent Hill. That was a strange and violent movie. I've never played the game, but the movie was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. A little more violent than I cared for, and some of the acting and direction was just bad, but I've seen worse.

Smallville is getting dogged by a lot of online fans, but I still like the show. It's winding down, and certain relationships are finally showing signs of coming to a close, and I'm ready for Clark to embrace his legacy personally. But while Lana now irritates even me, I'm glad they stretched out the on again/off again romance with her and Clark. This was the first love of his life, the only woman he imagined ever being with long term, and it should have taken this long for him to get past her. With what they have done with her character, too, it not only has made the fans hate her, but it has also made Clark realize this isn't the woman he fell in love with so many years ago. And while he has yet to abandon this failed love, you can see it coming, and it will be that much more glorious when it does happen. If it had ended in season one or two we would have felt terrible for Lana and wondered why, even though we knew it had to happen. But now it just makes much more sense why he would go for Lois.

There are other shows and movies I'm leaving out, but I gotta have something to talk about next time, right?

B-Out

2 comments:

Ray said...

I thought the Friday Night Lights movie was great, the series isn't on here. I'm absolutely loving Heroes at the moment. We're getting season 2 a couple of weeks after you at the moment which is great. I've been watching Brothers & Sisters on DVD and it's just about my favourite show. They haven't started season 2 here and probably won't for a couple more months.
Smallville has shattered the Superman legend. I was reading that Supergirl was coming into it soon. Still, some of what I have seen has been ok.

Jason Berek-Lewis said...

Aeon Flux and Ultraviolet are on my 'to watch when I have nothing better to do' list - I expect both to be terrible, but at least Aeon Flux features Charlize Theron in spandex!