Thursday, October 25, 2007

UFC

Typically I'm not a sports fan. I can watch them on occasion, but I was never really into them. I played basketball for about half a season in grade school, but that's it. And I do enjoy going to the UK games, football and basketball, when I can. It's exciting being there live. I was never real heavy into anything like boxing either, though I still watched it occasionally.

See, I was always the "fake sport" guy. I love wrestling, and I just can't stop that. But as far as competitive sports go, I have to say that over the past couple of years I have really been taken with the UFC.

For those who don't know, the UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championship) is the premiere MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) organization. Over the past few years this sport has really skyrocketed, thanks in no small part to the reality show Ultimate Fighter where the winner gets a UFC contract.

Now, I've always been a fan of martial arts, but this is a bit different. It combines any kind of fighting technique you can think of and puts these guys in a cage to battle it out. But it's not totally barbaric either. These fighters respect each other, and it is a highly competitive sport. Sure, they beat the crap out of each other, and undoubtedly shorten the span of their physical prowess by facing many injuries. But they love it, and it's exciting to watch.

I don't know why it appeals to me so much unless it's the aspect of it kind of being what pro wrestling might be if it wasn't staged. Whatever the case may be, I absolutely love the sport and watch it whenever I can. I'd love to go to a live event sometime.

And speaking of pro wrestling, Brock Lesnar of WWE fame from a few years back has signed on with the UFC. He was one of the fastest rising superstars in pro wrestling, but he was also a top NCAA amatuer wrestler prior to that. He's a big boy at around 6'3"-6'4" and over 260lbs. It will be really exciting to watch him compete for the first time, whenever that may be.

B-Out

3 comments:

Jenny said...

Josh and I are going to UFC 78 in Newark next month- it's our first live show and I can't wait! I'm a little ticked that there's no chance of seeing Randy C. there, but I'll deal with it. =)

Crazz said...

I think Brock Lesnar was the mystery woman on your brother's phone!!

Brant W. Fowler said...

Jenny, that's awesome! I wish I could have gone to 77 last Saturday since it was only an hour and a half from me, but one of these days.

Chuck, man, that's just wrong... :)