Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Of Poetry, Prose and Non-Fiction

So I had a phone conversation today that was pretty interesting. It was with a comic TPB packaging company. Basically they're a company that puts your team together, helps you guide the book to perfection, and then they find a publisher for you. This particular company has some pretty well known names involved, all of which I greatly respect.

The conversation was a good one. I got some insight into what exactly it is that they do, and I determined I'd like to pitch some stuff to them in the near future. And what's better is they want me to pitch stuff in the near future. So that lifted my spirits and really inspired some more confidence in both their company and in my own talents. Hopefully something fruitful will eventually come out of that for both of us.

Coming off of the conversation I started thinking about other stuff I want to write. See, that company is marketing towards more of a general audience as opposed to the direct market, so while I love comics it also got me to thinking about stuff I want to do outside of comics. I started thinking of the novels I've started and the screenplays I've started, and the poetry book I've been wanting to put together for some time. I just really enjoy writing and creating, and having other people enjoy my work.

For so long now writing has had to take a back-burner as other things paid the bills. But I really do want to be a writer primarily, and even though I've said it here before, I just really want to start focusing on that again. That's not to say I'm going to stop lettering, editing or drawing in the least. I just need to manage my time better is all, so I can get my writing back on track.

Speaking of writing, thanks to everyone for all the feedback on last week's Myth Conceptions column. I was hoping it would connect with people, and from the responses I got I'd say it was successful in that realm. This week's is nearly finished, even though it's already late. I'll post here when it goes up as usual.

On another note, stay tuned to this blog in the months to come because some things are in the works, or soon to be in the works that I'm getting excited about. It's time I take the bull by the horns on some things and stop waiting around for the right time or for confirmation. I just need to move, and thanks to some awesome support by a few people I think I am ready to do just that. So be watching.

Now onto some possibly bad news. We are late delivering Wannabez #0, and by the time the colors and letters are done the pages will be nearly two months late. Because of that we might not be able to get any copies for the Mid-Ohio Con that I was going to try to go to. It's just one of those things that happened. Life got in the way of things here, and so the book might be later than expected. Well, it was due out last month, so it's already late, but it may be a lot later because of the delay, we'll just have to see. I'll keep you updated on the Wannabez blog as news develops on that front.

And I guess that's it for now. I've got some lettering to do before calling it a day.

B-Out

2 comments:

Jenny said...

That sounds pretty awesome! I'm assuming you'll be blogging about the process as you go along- right, right? =)

Brant W. Fowler said...

Heh, I might just do that. :D