Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Yesterday

August 14th. That is a date I will always remember whether I want to or not. I know two people whose birthdays occupy that date, and both were, once upon a time, very close and important people in my life.

The first is my first girlfriend, Jamie. We were together for 10 months when I was 16-17, she was 15-16. Yesterday she turned 30. I think it's been about 8 years since I saw her last give or take a year. We had known each other in our youth briefly (she went to my church for a bit) and then I didn't see her for a few years. When she came back it wasn't but about a month or two later we were boyfriend and girlfriend. Even though life has taken us in completely different routes I still can't forget her birthday. I'm good with dates like that I guess. Anyway, if you're out there and happen to come across this, I hope life is treating you well.

The second is a relative of hers, David Lovin, who was like my little brother for a number of years, far after Jamie and I had broken up (which was on Easter, believe it or not). I miss David a lot, and I think it's been about 5 or 6 years since I saw him last. Man, time flies. I used to stay with his family a lot. We were as different as night and day in some respects, but we had this kindred something that connected us. Then some stuff happened, his family moved away, though not that far away, and we just lost touch. I tried to reconnect a couple of times, but there was just too much... stuff in the way.If you come across this, bro, I hope you are doing well also.

I actually know quite a few people who have birthdays this month. My cousin just turned 15 Saturday, and two of my former pastor's kids have birthdays this week and next. And another friend's b-day is also next week. So happy b-days all around, guy and gals. I hope life is treating you all well, and I hope you have wonderful birthdays this year.

B-Out

2 comments:

hicko said...

It is amazing how things can change and people come and go. Don't know what else to say on that mate. Happens to all of us.

Brant W. Fowler said...

All too true.