Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Why No Love for the Artists?

I have been looking art supplies to replenish my stash and I've discovered that the majority of comic retail stores I've come across don't typically carry art supplies. Now this is no huge discovery as I've known it in the back of my mind. But I guess it just strikes me odd that neither brick and mortar stores or online stores carry comic art supplies.

In my reasoning, there are tons of wannabe comic artists and writers out there, and many of them shop in both the physical and online stores. So why not carry supplies for them? I can understand it probably wouldn't be a huge sales boost, but is it too unreasonable to ask retailers to carry a small amount of art supplies and how to books, reference books, etc. for the budding artists and writers?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not really complaining, and I'm certainly not upset by it. Luckily there are places like Blue Line Pro, Bill Cole Enterprises and the Cartoonist Depot that do provide these items. I'm just curious why most retailers don't stock these as well. Maybe it's a cost issue, I don't know. It just strikes me as odd is all. I do, however, think it would be lovely to be able to walk in your LCS and pick up your much needed art supplies without having to pay shipping.

Granted, you can find a lot of stuff in local art stores (though there's only one near me in a 50 mile radius that I'm aware of) or your local Office Depot or Staples for some items. But stuff like art boards aren't as easy to come buy.

It's just a thought for all you retailers out there. You might want to make it a little easier for those starving artists local to your area.

B-Out

2 comments:

Crazz said...

Self Space man! It's all about the shelf space! I think that most of that stuff would move a bit too slow for most retailers, so they don't bother stocking it. I agree that it's a mistake, but I'll bet that's the argument most of them will make.

Brant W. Fowler said...

I'm inclined to agree, man, on both points. So if you ever do open that retail joint add that to the list! ;)