Thursday, August 09, 2007

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows


I just finished the book this morning, finally, and I have to say it was quite an enjoyable read. There was some sadness and some joy, and I was saddened at the end for a number of reasons. Was it the best in the series? Probably not, but it did nicely wrap up every plot thread throughout the entire series and answer some long pondered questions expertly.

A lot of people are against the books because the promote witchcraft, and a lot of people I know would consider me WRONG to even THINK about reading it, but those people are close-minded neophytes living in an era that no longer exists. To do away with Harry Potter would mean doing away with... well, almost EVERY fairy tale in existence! Snow White, Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast... the list goes on. They ALL have some form of magic in them don't they?

The thing that makes the series of Harry Potter books special is the same thing that supersedes the happenstance of it taking place in a magical world: morals and self-discovery! That's what these books are all about, and why they have won numerous awards throughout their 10 year history. Each and every single thing that happens in these books ever so subtly teaches a lesson, and shows us also how human even the greatest of us can be, meaning we are all flawed, but inside all of us exists the ability to become great in many different ways.

When my brother first started reading the books 9 or so years ago I was very hesitant about him reading them. We are Christians, and so the thought of witchcraft slightly alarmed me. I didn't want him getting the wrong message. So I read the book, and that, as they say, is history. I was hooked, and rightfully so. I'm a big fantasy fan anyway, but these books took that to the next level by bringing it into a nearly plausible world set in modern times. So the kids (and adults) get these wondrous adventures, but at the same time they are wrapped so delicately with insights and wisdoms that show the mark of a truly great writer. The Christian world could also take a lesson from these books in the art of subtlety, believe me!

Back to this particular book... as promised, some main characters did lose their lives, but valiantly so. During the last few chapters I was figuratively on the edge of my seat with anticipation as to the outcome of the ending battle. There were some surprises indeed, and there was a glorious and beaming conclusion to the story that every Potter fan should be proud of. And the epilogue was a nice touch, giving us a glimpse into the future.

So while I'm very sad to see the series go, I have to admit this book and the way it wrapped things up has greatly eased the blow of the absence of the series from here on out. Luckily I still have three movies to see before it's all done (I've yet to see Order of the Phoenix). And then I will probably at some point re-read them all once more.

Goodbye, Harry Potter, it's been a blast!

B-Out

1 comment:

hicko said...

I haven't read any of the books but have seen all the movies so far (last one revired a while back).