Monday, June 18, 2007

Dad

So yesterday was Father's Day, and of all days my Dad emailed me then. First time I had talked to him in two and a half years. I wish him a happy Father's Day and ask how he's doing and all that. Then he emails back asking about my life and everything, to which I'm a bit taken aback. This is the longest conversation we've had in years. So I tell him and again ask about his. That's when I find out.

Before I continue I need to set this up just a bit. my Dad has worked civil service (as an electrician) for the Air Force since before I was born. He primarily worked on F-15 Eagles (which I got to sit in the cockpit of a couple of times). In recent years he's had a desk job. So when he tells me what he tells me I'm shocked.

Turns out he's been in the Middle East (Saudi Arabia to be exact) since August for a year PCS and I didn't even know about it! Well, as you can imagine, I don't know whether to be upset or concerned for his safety. I don't know what the current conditions are over there (I'm terrible about keeping up with current events) but I know they're not great.

So anyway, it was good to hear from him, just a little jarring considering the information I received.

B-Out

3 comments:

hicko said...

Hey man, that's amazing. Must be a bit surreal. Don't know how I would handle that kind of thing.

Brant W. Fowler said...

Yeah, man, it's so strange. Even stranger is that he's been on my mom's mind the past few weeks. I really don't know how to feel about it. I'm upset he didn't tell me he was being shipped to the Middle East, but I'm glad he's okay, you know? It's just a bit much after all this time to grasp.

Jason Berek-Lewis said...

Hey Brant! Sorry I got to this so late. I think this is great news. I know that you are shocked by your Dad's current location, but use this opportunity to build on something. Even if you are exchanging the odd email; that's a good thing.

After so many years of biterness, my Dad and I found it very hard just to start talking with each other. Then we had to learn to talk HONESTLY to each other - something that we still do not do well.

Just take every small step as a blessing along a road that may lead to something better.