Sunday, October 08, 2006

The Road Less Traveled

There are times in life when one considers what brought them to where they are. This could be brought on by great joy, great sadness, great anger or great fear. It could be brought on by circumstances or by actions or people in their lives.

Wherever the thought comes from it often makes an impact in their lives either enforcing action or inaction. Some may accept things as they are and never reach for anything greater. They may allow circumstances to dictate what becomes of them. If the place they are in is a good place then that may be fine and well. But if it's a bad place they may in fact be writing their lives off by refusing to experience anything greater.

Others consider where they are, and upon realizing it's not where they want to be, they make changes. Sometimes those changes aren't easy or even possible. So they strive and strive to find a way to make them possible not wanting to live life with regrets or by looking at their dreams from afar. Unfortunately for many it doesn't work out and they end up right back where they started.

The few that embrace a greater existence and take action beyond understanding, comprehension and average complacency are the ones that achieve their goals and live their dreams. These are few and far between because many times to achieve greatness you have to sacrifice much. Whether that be family and friends, or pride and security, or ways of life you thought were right for you, there are things that must be lost to gain what you seek. They may not be big losses, but they are losses nonetheless.

Risk is also a factor. You step out from what you know, or for a not so sure of a thing and hope to make the best of it. If you fail there are consequences that could land you in a worse place than you were before. The ones that achieve take those risks and don't look back. But in doing so they risk alienating themselves.

The key destination is to reach a place where the sacrifices made make way for new and greater experiences and relationships, whether with the same people or new. That destination also includes living dreams and seeing things change for the better.

But when you sit on the cusp of stepping out and taking the risks, and you fully want to take those risks, but something holds you back that you can't overcome then it becomes very disheartening. Sometimes there are... circumstances that prevent you from moving forward - things you don't have the power or ability, or finances, or opportunity to change. No matter what you do and how hard you try things just don't work out.

What does one do in a situation such as this? Do they simply accept that their life is not one meant for greatness? Do they give up hope that things can change, that dreams can be achieved?

The way those questions are answered within one's self will make all the difference. Insurmountable odds may be ahead of you, but if your determination and desire is strong enough you can overcome any obstacle. It may take years of heartache and bad experiences, but as long as there is a will, to quote a cliche, there is a way. It may seem bleak... very bleak... but there is hope. Hope that someday, somehow a way will present itself to make the changes necessary to enable one to follow their dreams and be able to push with everything within them. There has to be that hope or living as things are becomes that much harder, and at times unbearable.

Hope is all we have at times to pull us through, and it is something I cling to on a daily basis. No matter what the odds are against me, or what obstacles I may face I will not die. I will not concede. I will not fail. I will become. And all the nay-sayers will eat their words, but I will not offer them the cruelty they have shown me. I will be as I always am and treat them with kindness and love. For that is who I am and what I'm about, always putting others above myself. But over time I have hurt myself because of that. No more.

Taking an alternate route from the average path is what separates those that move and those that stand still. Stepping out on faith knowing that something greater is in store as opposed to the mundane existence that threatens us all is what separates the dreamers from the doers.

I am a dreamer. I will be a doer.

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.



~Robert Frost - The Road Not Taken



(This is my 400th post, by the way)



B-Out

4 comments:

hicko said...

Brant, I don't have words to describe how I feel about what you write here. Moving.
I know something of how you feel, probably stemming from very different circumstances. Walk on!

Brant W. Fowler said...

Thanks, Ray, I'm glad someone else got something out of it as well. I appreciate your support, and I will indeed walk on. You do the same!

Anonymous said...

From an old friend:
Follow your calling in GOD. You are going to be used in a mighty way in the Lord. Don't fall away from the faith. Stay the course. Find yourself another oneness pentecostal church. Believe me there are really great godly people out there. Don't let the hurts of the past dictate your walk with GOD. Jesus loves you no matter what has happened in your past. Stay strong.

Brant W. Fowler said...

I'm not sure who this is, though I have an idea. I assume you made your way to this post via my MySpace blog. Whoever you are, I appreciate the comment and the advice. I fully intend to follow my calling and have never thought otherwise. I intend to live out my dreams as well, but my calling is something I have not turned my back on.

What's sad is that I am forced to find another church. Right now I am still getting to a place where I can, and trying to figure out where my life goes from here.

I don't blame God for what has happened, nor have I taken it out on Him. People are the ones that hurt me, not God, and they didn't just hurt me on the surface, but over the course of 20 years they cut me to the very soul. People I loved as family.

This only applies to a few, but the hurt is something I haven't gotten over yet. But I am a survivor and I always rise up with God's help. This will be no different, it's just taking longer than anticipated.

I appreciate you taking the time to make this comment, and I do feel it is genuine. So thank you for that. And I wish no ill will towards anyone, I just hope someday eyes are opened.

God bless, and happy holidays.