Friday, October 27, 2006

It's Friday!

Not that it matters since I pretty much do some kind of work all through the weekend, but I'll throw it out for all you out there that love Fridays. :)

I sadly have to start with a slight bit of bad news so I don't end with it mainly. It's nothing big, I've just been feeling really crappy. I've mentioned my stomach problems, and they seem to be getting worse. I'm in pain every day and it's got me a little concerned now.

I'm also still having problems with my teeth and toe, but those are par for the course. I'm far from happy about them, but right now there's not much I can do about them.

Oh, and it's raining like crazy here. Cold rain on a cold day is not cool. Well, technically it is, but you get the point...

Anyway, now that all that's out of the way, tonight I finally get to catch the latest episode of Heroes. I miss it on Mondays because of wrestling, but thankfully the Sci-Fi channel replays it. I'm really excited to see what happens and have avoided all conversation about it since Monday. Whew.

Well, the McDonalds monopoly game is winding down (ends at the end of the month) and I came oh so close! I have multiples of three of the four railroads that wins 5 million dollars, and I have about 15 Park Places and no Boardwalks that would win 1 million dollars. I also have 2 of every property always missing that elusive third piece to complete them. We didn't go out of our way or anything, but ended up with like 60 or more game pieces. I don't eat there at all except for an occasional order of fries, which I got twice this month. My mom eats there every day for lunch because it's across the street, and my brother eats there twice every weekend when he hangs out with his friends. So it was nothing above and beyond, just normal buying habits. Sure would have been nice to win though. Any large amount of money would take care of a lot of things right now. But hey, there's still four days!

Speaking of my mother, she's been back to work for I'd say about 5-6 weeks now up until today. She went to see her doctor yesterday and when he found out she was having to bend over in her chair to reach files for filing he put a stop to it. He told her if she continued doing so she could end up paralyzed. They don't know what all exactly is wrong with her beyond her knee injury, but she's got something wrong with her back and has arthritis. So long story short, they sent her home and they have nothing else for her. So now she's in limbo again without a paycheck. Workman's Comp didn't pay her for the last two weeks she was off work before going back and we're afraid they won't again. Her attorney says they have to, so we'll see.

I finished up Ezra #2 yesterday and after 4 attempts I finally got the files sent off. That book was a lot of fun to do, I hope I get to do more.

I got some feedback from the Zeroes 2 Heroes crew that ran that contest I entered a while back. They've gone through two of my entries and given me some valuable feedback, so I'm thankful for that. Overall both critiques were fairly positive. There was nothing bad with either Eliminator or Wannabez according to them.

They graded several factors on a scale of Excellent, Good, Fair and Poor. Eliminator's concept and characters got a Fair, but all the other factors scored a Good. They told me the characters were kind of flat and predictable more or less, which I can see. Thank goodness I don't have any art on that one yet (that I'm using anyway) so I can rethink a bit of it. They liked my pacing and dialogue mostly, and they were really kind about it adding humor and such. It was a great critique.

WBZ's critique was generally positive with a little negative ending. The concept got an Excellent and everything else got a Good, so I can live with that. They really liked the characters, the story and the flow of the script, but they noted some problems as well. Their concerns were that the gag of the book would run dry fast, and I can see that to a point. Of course I have a way to counter that, which I probably didn't state clear enough in the premise unfortunately. While they liked it and thought it was a great idea on the surface they didn't feel it would work because of that concern. I disagree for the reason I just mentioned, but still, for professionals to praise my work that much means I must be doing something right. So I'll just keep plugging away.

I'm really interested in seeing what they think of Snow, which is my final, last minute entry that they told me they'd get to. We shall see.

And on that note, I think I'll close the post with the positive in mind. 'Til next time.

B-Out

6 comments:

Crazz said...

Shame on you for not watching Heroes on Mondays. I am sooo disappointed that Wrestling takes prominence over it.

Brant W. Fowler said...

Heh, well the ONLY reason it does is because I know it (Heroes) replays on Friday. Kind of having my cake and eating it too. One of these days I'll get DVR or something and be able to record one while watching the other. Maybe. lol.

I love Heroes, and if I knew there was no other time to watch it I would watch it then and flip to wrestling on commercials. :)

hicko said...

Brant you should really get the stomach thing checked right out. I'm sure you have in the past. I have a stomach issue as well, but mine has been diagnosed and I am on medication. It's not ideal but if it helps it's worth it.

hicko said...

Just a thought if you like, throw me an email and explain the problem. The address is on my profile page.

Brant W. Fowler said...

Thanks, Ray, it's not that I don't want to check it out though. I just pretty much owe all the hospitals around and don't have a family doctor and such. When I'm able to I will if it's still giving me problems. My mom thinks I might have an ulcer.

hicko said...

I guess it's a lot easier here to get things checked out with the public health system - I can bacially rock up to a medical centre and see a doctor and it costs nothing. But believe me Brant, if there's something wrong inside there you need to know. I wish all I had was an ulcer!