Monday, September 11, 2006

Artistic Revelations

I entered yet another draw off today, probably the last for a while, and you know what I realized? I mean, I guess it wasn't a realization as I already knew it, but more of an acceptance of it. I accepted the fact that while I can spot and critique flaws in art, even my own, I have a really hard time fixing them.

It's strange. Unlike many wannabe artists, when I draw a piece I can see every single flaw in it, but no matter what I do I just can't fix them. I'm not one of these delusional guys that thinks they've got it down, or needs a million other people to tell them what's wrong (though I still ask to make sure I didn't miss anything myself). I guess sometimes I just wonder if I'm being too hard on myself so I ask others to make sure I'm seeing things correctly. I don't know.

Regardless, I know I have a long way to go, and I know I keep bringing this up. It just frustrates me.

One thing I think I've started to realize is even though I've been drawing for many years I never really had a style of my own. I always emulated, or tried to emulate I guess, favorites of mine. And while I realize little essences of those favorites will always be in my artwork, I never really had my own distinct style.

Furthermore, I always wanted to be one of those really good realistic style artists. Maybe not as good as an Alex Ross, but up there with the likes of Bryan Hitch and Tyler Kirkham and others. But maybe I'm just not cut out for that. Or maybe it's going to take me a long time to get to that level.

So I'm starting to experiment with a much simpler style. I still love intricate detail, and I've always added that to my stuff, and I think that's where my style is going to come from. A simple style with simple lines, but a ton of detail. You don't see a lot of that, it's usually one or the other.

Right before I really started drawing comic material I was drawing a lot of cartoon stuff. I used to watch this show on public access television called Blitz on Cartooning. I had wanted to become a newspaper strip artist (and that's still a goal of mine). So I would watch this show and do everything the guy did. My cartoon sketches were pretty good I think. I'll dig them out and gradually throw them up on the sketch blog when it goes up.

While I don't want to do the over the top cartoony style of art for comics I do think I can use that and infuze it with the comic art and make something new. of course I still have to really bear down on anatomy, proportions, perspective and shadows before I'm any good.

Currently I don't have a real space to draw at, and I think that hinders me. I also don't have the proper supplies, and that hinders me. I don't even have a table I can draw on here. I have a 12x12 shelf I hold in my lap and bend over. It's not the most convenient way to draw, I assure you. Many times I'm kneeling over the thing on the floor. And I wonder why my back and neck always hurt.

I think once I have an art table, the proper supplies and a space dedicated to drawing, and some peace and quiet I'll really be able to get back into it as much as I used to be. For now it's just going to be sketches and pinups and the like to practice.

So that's where I'm at with my art, and I just thought I'd share.

B-Out

No comments: